26 November 2016

A Rant - Lady Midnight, Where Have You Been?

 

 
As I was writing my review, I kept drifting off into a just a gush of words about everything and I just thought it would be better to separate my ‘rant’ from my review so as not give anyone spoilers and cut down the length of my review, because if I didn’t, the year would be over once you finished reading.


An accurate description of me whilst reading this whole book:
  • Let’s start with the fact that I didn’t realise how much I missed my Shadowhunters until I read this. I bought the book in New York and it’s a signed copy (so I was absolutely over the moon about that) and then I started reading and all the memories and feels from TID and TMI started flooding back and CC why are you just so amazing at making me feel all this things and make me talk in sentences that are much too long and have a bad grammar with a lot of caps and exclamation marks. 
  • I can’t believe how funny the book was. Honestly, I must have laughed every chapter. Cassandra just writes humour with such ease and I love how the dialogue is so witty. Even Mark, who had lost his grip on ‘humanity’ or ‘shadowhunter ettiquette’ if you will and just made small comments that I found so funny. 
  • “We're late," she said, "The show is supposed to start in ten minutes. If some people hadn't decided that 'semiformal' meant 'seminaked'-" "Why are you calling me 'some people'?" Mark inquired. "I am only one person.” Mark you are just so precious.
  • Moving on, my biggest pet peeve was the communication between characters. WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TALK TO EACH OTHER? EVER!!! Everything just kept going wrong and it was so annoying because it could have been prevented if Julian and Emma just took a moment to talk, or they thought maybe it would be a good idea to just voice their thoughts. It was just so frustrating.
  • Christina Rosales. What a queen. She was just such a likeable character and I felt such sympathy for her. "But I like the Hulk. I would like to heal his broken heart." What a jem (at first I unintentionally spelt it with the j and then only realised after i proof read it but oh well, it fits) She is probably my favourite female character alongside Tessa and I’ve only read one book about her. I wanna know more about her and Perfect Diego. Personally, I feel like there is something off about him but maybe he is just as perfect as everyone kept saying so who knows.
  • Also, Christina and Mark!! Mark and Kieran!! i can’t decide who i want to be together more but I ship both. I really want to know more about Kieran too, like who is h3, why, what, where and how. I want more of him and Mark’s time together and what they did and just everything. 
  • I guess I just really want to know more about the Faerie, particularly the Wild Hunt.
  • And the scene where Christina cut Mark's hair! I just love Cassandra Clare.
  • Julian Julian Julian. I'm so in love. The way he cared for his siblings and just worried about them so much was so SWOON. I just wanted to hug him better because he didn't think he was doing enough when he did more than enough. I totally love CC for making his character. He just has such a beautiful heart and I'm just so confused how can think all these feelings for fictional characters. The YA world will never know. I feel like Lady Midnight definitely has the best characters so far. All of them I just love. “I love you, Julian Blackthorn. I love you more than starlight.”  - Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • And what about Emma and Julian on the beach??? I hated it. I really did. I thought it was just such a cheap excuse and rushed and against their character. I thought they were smart and mature and intelligent and knew better than to just do that when they knew someone could have seen them. Even the sand? Wouldn't it get in weird places, and Emma had just almost drowned too. Everything was just wrong and the circumstances were thrown off.
  • Also what the hell is that birth control rune? I felt like Clary could have created something a lot better than I rune that prevents pregnancy. Something badass at least, rather than just convenient. I was cringing.
  • OMG AND KIT IS A FREAKING HERONDALE- my heart still whimpers at the sound of the name. I’m so excited. Beyond excited actually. Ecstatic. Over the moon. Elated. I was like no no no no no yes yes yes yes yes why are my emotions conflicting all the time yes yes yes. And then when Tessa and Jem arrived, my heart may have leaped from my chest and I needed to take a two minute break to recuperate and spam my friend about my emotions. I still haven’t received from that epilogue. 
  • The following is a depiction of me at during that chapter:
  • Moving on, how is this forbidden parabatai thing going to turn out if they’ll die by having their marks stripped or they’ll be excommunicated. I feel like it would be too convenient for an easy way out and everything would have been a waste of time if they could just simply say a spell or something like that. I want drama and demise and something bad to happen. I’m also sooooo excited to learn about Annabel Blackthorn. Obviously she is going to appear in the sequel and I’m curious as to how it will shake things up.
  • On the subject of Malcolm, there was never really a hint of this dark, determined side that made him so destructive for love in any of the other shadow hunter books and I felt like it wasn’t explored enough in the book too. There was something empty about it too, even the death of Emma’s parents. It felt careless. I hated that, I felt like Cassandra perhaps focused a little too much on everything and lost focus during the play. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely want to read about all the steamy and angsty romance but the whole purpose and drive for the plot was just ‘bleh’.
  • THE ENDING - by far my favourite moment when Mark and Emma decide to do the unthinkable, but I see how it can potentially ruin the story line as it will harm so many relationships and possibly bring the novel into a bigger cliche. Everyone is so annoyed by it, am I the only one who is actually excited!! Like, right after I read it I just couldn’t stop beaming and thinking how good Lord of Shadows was gonna be.
  • He held out a hand to her, half-beckoning, half-offering. "Why lie?" he said.”  I am just so excited, May, could you possibly come any quicker?
 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff